Monday, March 2, 2009

Lets see... That wire goes...Hmmm!?!

Well, that was interesting.
With Mike's help I was able to get the gas lines and new fuel pump installed. I assembled the carb and installed that. Made sure the wire spring holding the push-rod tubes in place was set properly (it wasn't), Installed a new oil cleaner screen gasket and put fresh oil in (thanks Mike). Cleaned the oil breather (which I now call the sludge collector). Installed new coil: and there begins the problems! The new coil was a Bosch blue-coil. The old coil was a Standard. On the Standard, the Positive is on the top, and the Negative is on the bottom (the way I like it). On the Bosch, the Negative is on the top (lame) and the Positive is on the bottom (really lame). So installed my distributor with my fancy new electronic igition system instead of points. I looked on the coil to find the Pos and Neg, and then proceeded to wire everything backwards. Keeping the fire-extinguisher handy, I proceeded to turn the bus on....and, being wired backwards...completely fried my electronic ignition. Grrrrr.
I've ordered a new Pertronix unit and will try again when it arrives. In the mean time, I may see if she fire's up using points just to see if the oil leak was fixed. It appears, presently, that it is fixed. After several attempts at starting her, no oil leaked out. But I won't know for sure until she's actually idling.
Oh, and it was raining this weekend and I'm fighting a cold. Grrrr.
Ah well, if it was easy, it wouldn't be a Volkswagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment